Piece # 232 "What You Don't See"
A Zoria's Creation. Krista DeSelms © 2012
Well, this has been my biggest challenge to wrap as far as cabochon shapes go. For about a year I've been on the hunt for a true "Crescent Moon" shaped cabochon, and having no luck finding them. So I finally asked around my lapidary friends and sure enough, a good friend, Jim, volunteered to try the trick of making me one. I, the ebay challenged, went on there and bought myself a nice Pietersite slab and Moonstone rough. Jim did his best for me but the Moonstone looked him straight in the eye and told him "No Jim, I will not be a cabochon of any sort!" Had a hissy fit and shattered, this is due to my stunning ability to buy rough. Anyway, the Pietersite was a beauty and she was so much more cooperative.
So Jim took the Pietersite and out of his diligence and hard work came this absolutely gorgeous crescent moon cabochon
Which, I in the past two weeks have attempted to wrap…. Yes, attempted, with success!!! …. the second time around. Anyway, with no further a due I present “What You Don’t See” Enjoy!
Pietersite wrapped in 21 gauge, square and twisted, Argentium Sterling Silver.
Pietersite is a brecciated gemstone. This means that after its original forming the gem was broken apart, sometimes by heating and mangled, reshaped and brought together with quartz, sealing its transformation. The original form of Pietersite is that of Tigers Eye, which is why Pietersite can be found with so many colors in it, ranging from light and dark blues, fabulous yellows and golds and deep reds. These are the natural colors Tiger Eye can take and in turn can be brecciated into the same but more mixed up colors to form Pietersite. Where Tiger Eye stones are very uniform, usually with the chatoyancy all moving in one parallel direction Pietersite has a more chaotic look to it, shine and patterns going every which way. Pietersite can be found in Nambia and some areas of China, though the mining of it has slowed and its become a fairly rare and valuable stone.
Argentium Sterling Silver is the highest quality of Sterling Silver available today and is highly tarnish resistant. Sterling Silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. Argentium is actually 93% silver with the remaining 7% a mixture of Copper and the element Germanium which gives it a higher tarnish resistance and less people are allergic to it than normal Sterling Silver.
Yes, I do custom work.
vv Please Like my FB page! vv vSign my GuestbookvLike Zoria’s Facebook Page
| Go to Zoria’s Store
| Visit Zoria’s Etsy